St. Mary's Church

St. Luke's Church

St. Luke's Parish Room

Visitor guide

Church history

Church records


St. Mary the Virgin, Chiddingstone

The present church has 13th century origins but was substantially rebuilt in the 14th century. The fine west tower with its stair turret and four pinnacles was added in the 15th century, also the chapel was enlarged in 1516. Following a lightning strike in 1624, which destroyed all but the tower, the church was rebuilt and rededicated in 1629. We have a ring of eight bells in the tower which were all were rehung in 1991. Our font was made in 1628 of local sandstone and has been described as the best production of its period in Kent. The pulpit dates from the same time. We are also proud of our organ (two-manual T.C. Lewis and much loved by our roster of organists) which dates from 1881.

The improvements to the fabric of St Mary's continue with recent additions of a small chapel in the base of the tower, toilet facilities, an area for preparing and serving light snacks, tea and coffee for meetings, concerts, visiting groups and general gatherings after services and a built-in laptop, remote controlled projector and screen for use both within services, by guest speakers and, importantly, the school. We have also recently installed a broadband link to the school with the co-operation of Kent Education Committee.