St. Mary's Church

St. Luke's Church

St. Luke's Parish Room

Visitor guide

Church history

Church records

St. Luke's, Chiddingstone Causeway

St Luke's Church Chiddingstone Causeway was built in 1898 when the local community grew with the development of the cricket bat and ball industry carried on by Duke & Sons in the village, and large congregations justified a proper church to replace the small chapel of St. Saviour.

The Hills family, local landowners, commissioned the architect Mr John Bentley, designer of Westminster Roman Catholic Cathedral. The church is well constructed in Bath stone in the late Gothic style with many notable features. These include a beautiful Altar window, the work of the leading Impressionist Wilfred de Glehn RA, a fine oak Communion Table and Communion rails of massive brass with panels of light wrought iron worked underneath; the carved oak-panelled pulpit and lecturn; a wide, raised chancel paved with Portland stone; the Font by Messrs Farmer & Brindley constructed of alabaster, Portland stone, marble and the actual basin of Cippolino marble. The original organ, still in regular use, is by Messrs Norman & Beard, and the spacious barrel-vaulted roof lends itself well to the fine acoustic properties of the building.

The main entrance is in the north-west corner of the building, and consists of a covered porch with a stone seat on both sides. Sculptured on the outside face of the porch is a winged bull - the emblem of St Luke.

St Luke's Parish Room

St Luke's Parish Room was opened in 2012 - a new build free standing oak building that is used for Sunday School, after service tea and coffee, and numerous other activities and events. The building is of 640 sq ft. The main meeting room has kitchen and toilet facilities. The room is available for rental for many functions.